Our mission is to spread the word about the wonderful concert band literature we perform. We travel around, bringing new audience members into the fold, rarely performing consecutive concerts in the same location. We perform in various concert venues. We usually perform concerts on Sunday afternoon or evening.
Who are we?
The Upstate Symphonic Winds is a community band that draws musicians from many parts of Upstate South Carolina (and a few beyond). We have members from Greenville, Simpsonville, Greer, Spartanburg, Taylors, Travelers Rest, Easley, Anderson, Belton, Honea Path, Due West, Abbeville, Laurens, Clinton, Hodges, Greenwood, Columbia, and Hendersonville in North Carolina.
Where do we meet?
Members receive an email with location assignments for each concert cycle. Rehearsals are usually scheduled on Sunday afternoon from 2pm to 4:30pm, and we stop earlier than 4:30pm when possible.
When do we rehearse?
- Rehearsals on Sundays in late August and September for a concert at the end of September
- No full band activities in October…chamber groups rehearse and perform
- Rehearsal on Sundays in November and early December for a mid-December concert
- No full band activities in January…chamber groups rehearse and perform
- Rehearsal on Sundays in February and early March for a mid-March concert
- Rehearsal on Sundays in late April and May for a concert at the end of May or the beginning of June
What do we play?
List of pieces we’ve performed:
- Four Scottish Dances: Malcolm Arnold
- Americans We: Henry Fillmore
- His Honor: Henry Fillmore
- The Footlifter: Henry Fillmore
- Perthshire Majesty: Samuel Hazo
- Ride: Samuel Hazo
- On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss: David Holsinger
- First Suite in E-flat Major: Gustav Holst
- Second Suite in F Major: Gustav Holst
- An Original Suite : Gordon Jacob
- Esprit De Corps : Robert Jager
- Pageant: Vincent Persichetti
- Russian Christmas Music: Alfred Reed
- The Hounds of Spring : Alfred Reed
- New England Triptych : William Schuman
- Metroplex : Robert Sheldon
- Vesuvius : Robert Sheldon
- Festive Overture : Dmitri Shostakovich
- Emperata Overture : Claude Smith
- Stars and Stripes Forever: John Sousa
- The Washington Post: John Sousa
- The Firebird Suite: Igor Stravinsky
- An American Elegy: Frank Ticheli
- Sinfonians : Clifton Williams
- Toccata Marziale: Ralph Williams
- Chorale and Shaker Dance : John Zdechlik